The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No 1 (2011): 61 – 69
A STUDY OF NATURAL RADIONUCLIDE ACTIVITIES AND RADIATION HAZARD INDEX IN SOME GRAINS CONSUMED IN JORDAN
A.A. Tawalbeh1*, K.M. Abumurad2 , S.B. Samat1, M.S. Yasir1
1School of Applied Physics,
Faculty of Science and Technology,
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 43600 UKM Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Physics,
Faculty of Science, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Forty samples of different types of imported and locally produced grains consumed in Jordan were analyzed using gamma-ray spectroscopy system with a high Purity germanium (HPGe) detector. The concentrations of the natural radionuclides 238U, 232Th and 40K present in the studied samples were measured, and the radium equivalent activities Raeq, were calculated. In addition to that, the hazard index HI, was calculated. The average concentrations of 238U, 232Th and 40K were in the range of (2.0 ± 0.5) ×10-3 , (7.0 ± 2) ×10-3 and 49.93 ± 1.69 ppm, respectively. The values of Raeq ranged between 17.70 – 245.64 Bq/kg. The HI were ranged between 0.05 – 0.66, which is less than one (the higher limit of HI). The obtained results were compared with the standard accepted international values, and found to be within the acceptable limits.
Keywords: 238U, 232Th and 40K , NORM, Grains, Activity concentration, Radium equivalent , Hazard index
1. Turner, J.E., 1995. Atoms, Radiation, and Radiation Protection. 2nd ed., John Wiley &Sons.
2. FAO, 1999. The Impact Population Growth and Urbanization on Food Consumption Patterns in Jordan. United Nation. New York.
3. Jibiri, N. N. and Ajao, A.O., 2005. Natural Activities of 40K, 238U and 232Th in Elephant Grass in Ibadan Metropolis, Nigeria. Journal of environmental Radioactivity.78, pp. 105- 111.
4. Zaiadi J. H., Arif M., Ahmad S., Fatima I.,and Qureshi I. H., 1999. Radiation Protection Dosimetry Vo.51 pp.559-564.
5. Samat,S.B., Green, S. and Beddoe, A.H., 1997, The 40K Activity of One Gram of Potassium, Phys. Med. Biol. Vo 42, pp.407-413.
6. Frame, P., 2006. Radium Equivalent Health Physics Society : http//hps.org/.
7. Yasir, M.S., Ab Majid A., Yahaya,R., 2007. Study ofNatural Radionuclides and its Radiation Hazard Index in Malaysia Building Materials. Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry273, No.3 pp.539-541.
8. Tufail, M Radioprotection. Iqbal, M., and Mirza, S.M., 2000. Radiation Doses Due to the Natural Radioactivity in Pakistan Marble. Vo 35, No.3 pp. 299-310.
9. UNSCEAR, 2000. Sources and Effects of Ionizing radiation. Report to General Assembly,With Scientific Annexes, United Nation, New York