The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No 1 (2011): 70 -80
STRUCTURAL AND SPECTROSCOPIC STUDIES OF NOVEL METHYLBENZOYLTHIOUREA DERIVATIVES
Rabia’tun Hidayah Jusoh1, Wan M. Khairul 1, M. Sukeri M. Yusof1*, Maisara Abdul Kadir1, Bohari M.Yamin2
1Department of Chemical Sciences,
Faculty of Science and Technology,
2School of Chemical Sciences and Food Technology,
Faculty of Science and Technology,
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Three new compounds, N-(2-methybenzoyl)-N’-(3-methyl-2-pyridyl)thiourea (I), N-(3-methylbenzoyl)-N’-(6-methyl-2-pyridyl)thiourea (II) are isomers and N-(2-methylbenzoyl)-N’-(6-methylpyridine-2-yl)thione (III) have been successfully synthesised and characterised by typical spectroscopic techniques, IR, UV-Visible, 1H and 13C Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and CHNS analysis. The molecular structures were confirmed by single crystal X-ray diffractometer analysis. The Infrared spectra of these compounds showed four significant stretching vibrations, n(N-H), n(C=O), n(C-N) and n(C=S) at 3187-3375 cm-1, 1683-1713 cm-1, 1326-1384 cm-1 and 666-785 cm-1, respectively. The UV-Visible spectra of all compounds show three bands obtained in the range of 205-287 nm, which may be due to n→π* and π→π* transitions. In 13C NMR spectra, the signal of carbon carbonyl for (I) and (II) can be observed at ca. δc 170 ppm. Whilst, chemical shift of the carbon thione groups for (I) and (II) appeared at ca. 180 ppm. Molecule (I), (II) and (III) crystallise in the monoclinic crystal system with space group P21/n. Molecule (I) adopts trans-cis configuration in comparison with II which adopts cis-trans configuration of the pyridine and methylbenzoyl groups with respect to the thione S atom across the thiourea C-N bonds. However, (III) is planar due to cyclisation forming two five-membered rings. All molecules are stabilised by intra-molecular hydrogen bonds, N-H...O, C-H...N, N-H...N and C-H...O lead to the formation of pseudo seven-membered rings (I) and pseudo six-membered (II & III) rings. In the crystal lattice, molecule (I) are linked by the N-H...O, C-H...S and N-H...S (II) inter-molecular hydrogen bonds, whilst for (III), there are no inter-molecular hydrogen bond was observed.
Keywords: Methylbenzoylthiourea, carbonylthiourea, thiourea, spectroscopic studies
1. Binzet, G., Emen, F. M., Flörke, U., Ilkaynak,T., Külcü, N. and Arslan,H. 2009. 4-Chloro-N-[N-(6-methyl-2-pyridyl)-carbamothioyl]benzamide. Acta Cryst. E65. 081-082.
2. Xue, S. J., Zou, J. S. and Yang, H. J. 2000. Synthesis and Herbicidal Activities of N’-(substituted pyrimidin-2-yl)-N-Substituted Phenoxyacetyl Thiourea Derivatives. Chinese Chemical Letters 11(1): 19-20.
3. Ranise, A., Spallarossa, A., Bruno, O., Schenone, S., Fossa, P., Menozzi, G., Bondavalli, F., Mosti, L., Capuano, A., Mazzeo, F., Falcone, G. and Filippelli, W. 2003. Synthesis of N-substituted-N-acylthioureas of 4-substituted piperazines endowed with local anaesthetic, antihyperlipidemic, antiproliferative activities and antiarrythmic, analgesic, antiaggregating actions. IL Farmaco 58: 765-780.
4. Xu, X., Qian, X., Li, Z., Huang, Q. and Chen, G. 2003. Synthesis and insecticidal activity of new substituted N-aryl-N’-benzoylthiourea compounds. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry 121: 51-54.
5. Weiqun, Z., Kuisheng, L., Yong, Z. and Lu, L. 2003. Structural and spectral studies of N-(4-chloro)benzoyl-N’-2-Tolylthiourea. Journal of Molecular Structure 657: 215-223.
6. Weiqun, Z., Baolong, L., Liming, Z., Jiangang, D., Yong, Z., Lude, L. and Xujie, Y. 2004. Structural and spectral studies on N-(4-chloro)benzoyl-N’-(4-tolyl)thiourea. Journal of Molecular Structure 690: 145-150.
7. Ke, S.-Y. and Xue, S.-J. 2006. Synthesis and herbicidal activity of N-(o-fluorophenoxyacetyl)thioureas derivatives and related fused heterocyclic compounds. ARKIVOC (x): 63-68.
8. Liu, B. and Tian, L. 2006. 1-Cyclopropylcarbonyl-3-(2-pyridyl)thiourea. Acta Cryst. E62, 04280-04281.
9. Selvaraju, K., Valluvan, R. and Kumararaman, S. 2007. A new metal-organic crystal: Potassium thiourea chloride. Material Letters 61:751-753.
10. Yang, W., Weiqun, Z. and Zhang, Z. 2007. Structural and spectroscopic study on N-2-ﬂuorobenzoyl-N’-4-methoxyphenylthiourea. Journal of Molecular Structure 828: 46-53.
11. Li, J., Tan, J.-Z., Chen, L.-L., Zhang, J., Shen, X., Mei, C.-L., Fu, L.-L., Lin, L.-P., Ding, J., Xiong, X.-S., Liu, H., Luo, X.-M. and Jiang, H.-L. 2006. Design, synthesis and antitumor evaluation of a new series of N- substituted-thiourea derivatives N-(2-oxo-1,2-dihydroquinolin-3-yl-methyl)-thiourea. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica 27 (9): 1259.
12. Mahajan, A., Yeh, S., Nell, M., Van Rensburg, C. E. J. and Chibalea, K. 2007. Synthesis of new 7-chloroquinolinyl thioureas and their biological investigation as potential antimalarial and anticancer agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 17: 5683-5685.
13. Dong, Y., Venkatachalam, T. K., Narla, R. K., Trieu, V. N., Sudbeck, E. A. and Uckun, F. M. 2000. Antioxidant Function of Phenethyl-5-bromo-pyridyl Thiourea Compounds with Potent Anti-HIV Activity. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 10: 87-90.
14. Karakus¸ S. and Rollas, S. 2002. Synthesis and antituberculosis activity of new N-phenyl-N-[4-(5-alkyl/arylamino-1,3,4 thiadiazole-2-yl)phenyl]thioureas. IL Farmaco 57: 577-581.
15. Raj, S. S. S., Puviarasan, K., Velmurugan, D., Jayanthi, G. and Fun, H.-K. 1999. N-H...S hydrogen bonding in N-benzoyl-N'-methyl-N'-phenylthiourea and N-benzoyl-N’'-(3,4 dimethylphenyl)thiourea. Acta Cryst. C55: 1318-1320.
16. Caroline, M. L. and Vasudevan, S. 2009. Growth and characterization of pure and doped bis thiourea zinc acetate: Semiorganic nonlinear optical single crystals. Current Applied Physics 9: 1054-1061.
17. Ma, D. L., Xia, D. S., Cui, F. L., Li, J. P. and Wang, Y. 1999. A new sensitive reagent for identifying and determining Cu2+. Talanta 48: 9-13.
18. Domínguez, M., Anticó, E., Beyer, L., Aguirre, A., Garcıŕ-Granda, S. and Salvadó, V. 2002. Liquid/liquid extraction of palladium(II) and gold(III) with N-benzoyl-N’,N’-diethylthiourea and the synthesis of a palladium benzoylthiourea complex. Polyhedron 21: 1429-1437.
19. Bencivenni, L., Cesaro, S. N. and Pieretti, A. 1998. Matrix and ab initio infrared spectra of thiourea and thiourea-d4 Vibrational Spectroscopy 18: 91–102.
20. Dillen, J.,Woldu, M. G. and Koch, K. R. 2006. N,N-(Heptane-2,6-diyl)-N’-(3,4,5-methoxybenzoyl)thiourea. Acta Cryst. E62: 05225-05227.
21. Yusof, M. S. M., Soh, S. K. C., Ngah, N. and Yamin, B. M. 2006. 1-Benzoyl-3-(6-methylpyridin-2-yl)thiourea. Acta Cryst. E62: 01446-0144.
22. Allen, F. H., Bird, C. M., Rowland, R. S. and Raithby, P. R. 1997. Resonance-Induced Hydrogen Bonding at Sulfur Acceptors in RIR2C=S and RICS2 Systems. Acta Cryst. B53: 680-695.