The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No 1 (2011): 54 – 60
A SIMPLE AND COST EFFECTIVE ISOLATION AND PURIFICATION PROTOCOL OF MITRAGYNINE FROM MITRAGYNA SPECIOSA KORTH (KETUM) LEAVES
Goh Teik Beng1* , Mohamad Razak Hamdan1, Mohammad Jamshed Siddiqui2, Mohd Nizam Mordi1
and Sharif Mahsufi Mansor1
1Centre of Drug Research,
2 School of Pharmaceutical Science,
Universiti Sains Malaysia, Minden 11800, Penang, Malaysia.
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
The objective of the present study was to develop a simple and cost effective method for the isolation of mitragynine from Mitragyna speciosa Korth leaves. The results of our study showed that around 0.088 % (w/w) pure mitragynine was obtained by this newly developed method with a purity of 99.0 % (w/w) based on GC-MS analysis. Moreover, the recovery of the pure mitragynine from the chloroform extract was also more than 95.0 %. Advantages of this new method were simpler, faster and more economical. In conclusion this simple and cost effective method helps to isolate mitragynine with higher purity in comparison with the published methods.
Keywords: Mitragynine speciosa Korth, mitragynine, mitragynine extraction
1. Takayama, H., Ishikawa, H., Kurihara, M., Kitajima, M., Aimi, N., Ponglux, D., Koyama, F., Matsumoto, K., Moriyama,T., Yamamoto, L.T., Watanabe, K., Horie, K. 2002. Studies on the synthesis and opioid agonistic activities ofmitragynine-related índole alkaloids: Discovery of opioid agonists structurally different from other opioid ligands.Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 45: 1949-1956.
2. Grewal, K.S. 1932. Observations on the pharmacology of mitragynine. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 46: 251-271.
3. Suwanlert, L.S. 1975. A study of Kratom eaters in Thailand. Bulletine on Narcotics, 27: 21-27.
4. Shellard, E.J. 1989. Enthnopharmacology of Kratom and the Mitragyna alkaloids. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 25(1): 123-124.
5. Takayama, H. 2004. Chemistry and pharmacology of analgesic indole alkaloids from the Rubiaceous plant, Mitragyna speciosa. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 52(8): 916-928.
6. Houghton, P.J., Latiff, A., and Said, I.M. 1991. Alkaloids from Mitragyna Speciosa. Phytochemistry, 30: 347-350.
7. Ponglux, D., Wongseripipatana, S., Takayama, H., Kikuchi, M., Aimi, M. and Sakai,S. 1994. A new indole alkaloid, 7 hydroxy-7H mitragynine, from Mitragyna Speciosa in Thailand. Planta Medica, 60: 580-581.
8. Jansen, K.L.R. and Prast, C.J. 1988b. Enthnopharmacology of kratom and the Mitragyna alkaloids. Journal of Enthnopharmacology, 23: 115-119.
9. Takayama,H. and Maruyama, T. (2009). Simultaneous analysis of mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and other alkaloids in the psychotropic plant “kratom” (Mitragyna speciosa) by LC-ESI-MS. Forensic Toxicology, 27: 67-74.
10. Still, W. C.; Kahn, M. and Mitra, A. (1978). Rapid chromatographic techniques for preparative separation with moderate resolution. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 43(14): 2923-2925.
11. Janchawee, B., Keawpradub, N., Chittrakarn, S., Prasettho, S., Wararatananurak, P., Sawangjareon, K. 2007. A high performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of mitragynine in serum and its application to a pharmacokinetic study in rats. Biomedical Chromatography, 21 (2): 176-183.
12. James A. D., John M. F., Graeme A.P., Catherine E. S., Nigel B. P. and Ray A. L. 2010. Seasonal variation of biomass and bioactive alkaloid content of goldenseal, Hydrastis Canadensis. Fitoterapia, 81: 925-928.