The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No 1 (2011): 122 – 129
Extraction of Eu (III) in Monazite from Soils Containing ‘Amang’ Collected From Kg Gajah Ex-Mining Area
Zaini Hamzah1, Nor Monica Ahmad1*, and Ahmad Saat2
1Faculty of Applied Sciences,
2Institute of Science (IOS),
Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM),
40450 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Malaysia was once a major tin exporting country. One of the by-products of the tin-mining activities is tin-tailing which known as `amang` very rich in rare earth elements, especially the lanthanides which are present as a mixture of phosphate minerals, mainly as ilmenite, xenotime and monazite. In this study, Kg Gajah in Kinta Valley occupying the State of Perak was chosen as a study area, since this area used to be the largest mining area in the 60’s and 70’s. The soil samples were separated using wet separation technique followed by magnetic separation. The monazite was then digested using a mixture of HF/HNO3 acids. The digested sample was extracted for its cerium content. The extraction behaviour of cerium in those samples has been investigated as a function of Cyanex 302 concentration in diluents and the time taken to reach the equilibrium. Extractant of bis(2,4,4-trimethylpentyl)-mono-thiophosphinic acid (Cyanex302) in n-heptane was used throughout the analysis. Aqueous phase from extraction was analyzed spectrometrically using Arsenazo (III) while organic phase was subjected to rotavapour followed by analysis by FTIR. The aim of this study is to have the best concentration for Cyanex302 in order to extract as much as possible of Europium and to confirm the transfer of Eu (III) to the Cyanex 302 as an extractant. Result from UV/VIS shows that 0.7 M is the best concentration of Cyanex 302 for the Eu (III) extraction from samples. Result from FTIR confirmed the structure of Cyanex302 has been replaced by Ce(IV).
Keywords: `Amang`, Rare earth elements (REE), Cyanex302, Arsenazo III
1. Worobiec, A., Stefaniak, E.A., Potgieter-Vermaak, S., Sawlowicz, Z., Spolnik, Z., Van Grieken, R. (2007). Characterisation of concentrates of heavy mineral sands by micro-Raman spectrometry and CC-SEM/EDX with HCA. Applied Geochemistry, 22, 2078-2085
2. Walsh, J.A. (2007). The use of scanning electron microscope in the determination of the mineral composition of Ballachulish slate. Materials Characterization, 58, 1095-1103.
3. Hu, S. J., Kandaiya, S. and T.S. Lee (1995). Studies of the radioactivity of amang effluent. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 46, 147-148.
4. Zaini Hamzah, Nor Monica Ahmad and Ahmad Saat (2009). Determination of heavy minerals in “amang“ from Kampong Gajah ex-mining area. The Malaysian J. Analytical Sciences, 13(2), 184-203.
5. Morais C.A. and Ciminelli V.S.T. (1998). Recovery of europium from a rare earth chloride solution. Hydrometallurgy 49, 167-177.
6. Morais C.A. and Ciminelli V.S.T. (1998). Recovery of europium by chemical reduction of a commercial solution of europium and gadolinium chloride. Hydrometallurgy 60, 247-253.
7. Ohashi A., Hashimoto T., Imura H. and Ohashi K (2007). Cloud point extraction equilibrium of lanthanum (III), europium (III) and lutetium (III) using di(2-ethylhexyl)phosphoric acid and Triton X-100. Talanta 73, 893-898.
8. Redling K (2006). Rare earth elements in agriculture with emphasis on animal husbandry. PhD thesis Ludwig-Maximilians-UniversitatMunchen, Germany.
9. Gracia Valls, R. Hrdlicka, A. Perutka, J. Havel, J. Deorka, N. V. Tavlarides, L. L. Munoz, M. and Valiente, M. (2001). Separation of rare earth elements by high performance liquid chromatography using a covalent modified silica gel column. Analytica Chimica Acta, 439, 247-253.
10. Wu, D. Xiong, Y. Li, D. and Meng, S. (2005). Interfacial behavior of Ctanex302 and kinetics of lanthanum extraction. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 290, 235-240.
11. Khan, M. H. Warwick, P. and Evans, N. (2006). Spectrometric determination of uranium with arsenazo III in perchloric acid. Chemosphere, 61, 1165-1169.
12. Gioia, M. G. Di Pietra, A. M. and Gatti, R. (2002). Validation of spectrometric method for determination of iron (III) impurities in dosage form. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 29, 1159-1164.
13. Md. Pauzi Abdullah and Mohamad Nasir Othman (2007). Validation of an extraction technique based on Tributyl Phosphate for the determination of Pb(II) in water, The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, 11(2), 361-369.
14. Sunil G.S. and Puroshattam M.D. (1999). Solvent extraction separation of antimony (III) and bismuth (III) with bis(2,4,4-trimethylpentyl) monothiophosphinic acid (Cyanex 302). Separation and Purification Technology, 15, 131-138.
15. Sunil G.S. and Puroshattam M. D. (2000). Solvent extraction separation of Gold with Cyanex 302 as extractant. Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 47, 869-873.
16. Ajgaonkar, H.S. Puroshattam, M.D (1997). Solvent extraction separation of iron (III) and aluminium (III) from other elements with Cyanex 302. Talanta. 44, 563-570.
17. Zhifeng Z, Hongfei L, Fuqiang G, Shulan M, Deqian L. (2008). Synergistic extraction and recovery of Cerium (IV) and Fluorin from sulfuric solutions with Cyanex 923 and di-2-ethylhexyl phosphoric acid. Separation of Purification Technology, 63, 348-352.
18. Ramachandran Reddy, B. Rajesh Kumar, J. Phani Raja, K and Varada Reddy, A. (2004). Solvent extraction of Hf(IV) from acidic chloride solutions using Cyanex 302. Minerals Engineering, 17, 939-942.
19. Muhammad Idiris Saleh, Md. Fazlul Bari, Bahruddin Saad. (2002), Solvent extraction of lanthanum(III) from acidic nitrate-acetato medium by Cyanex 272 in toluene. Hydrometallurgy, 63, 75-84.
20. Tania F, Prasada Rao, T. Reddy, M.L.P. (2000). Cyanex 471X as extractant for the recovery of Hg(II) from industrial wastes. Hydrometallurgy, 57, 263-268.
21. Biswas, R.K. and Begum, D.A. (1998). Solvent extraction of tetravalent titanium from chloride solution by di-2-ethylhexyl phosphoric acid in kerosene. Hydrometallurgy,49, 263-274.
22. Biswas, R.K. and Begum, D.A. (1998). Solvent extraction of Fe3+ from chloride solution by D2EHPA in kerosene Hydrometallurgy, 50, 153-163.
23. Reddy B. R, Kumar J. R. Raja K.P. and Reddy A. V (2004). Solvent extraction of Hf(IV) from acidic chloride solution using Cyanex302. Minerals Engineering, 17, 939-942.