The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Vol 15 No 1 (2011): 93 – 100
SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND NEUROTOXIC EFFECT OF SCHIFF BASE LIGANDS AND THEIR COMPLEXES
Ahmad Fauzi Abu Bakar1*, Hadariah Bahron1, Karimah Kassim1, Mazatulikhma Mat Zain2
1Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Applied Sciences,
2Institute of Science (IOS),
Universiti Teknologi MARA
40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Two ligands and eight complexes are successfully synthesized by reacting 1,8-diaminonapthelene with aldehyde/ketone derivatives in 1:2 ratio for ligand formation and 1:1 ratio for complex formations. The compounds are characterized through CHN elemental anaysis, IR spectroscopy, 1H NMR spectroscopy, melting point and magnetic susceptibility determination. The neurotoxicity of compounds is evaluated using neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cell lines and it was indicate the cells were non-toxic either for ligands and complexes after 24 hours exposure.
Keywords: Schiff base, 1,8-diaminonaphthalene, neurotoxicity, SH-SY5Y cell lines
1. Dolaz, M., McKee, V., Gölcu, A. and Tumer, M. (2009) Synthesis, characterization, thermal and electrochemical studies of the N,N’-bis[(3,4-dichlorophenyl)methylidine]cyclohexane-1,4,diamine and its Cu(II), Co(II) and Ni(II).
2. El-Ayaan, U. and Aziz, A.A.M.A., (2005) Synthesis, antimicrobial activity and molecular modeling of cobalt and nickel complexes containing the bulky ligand: bis[N-(2,6-diidpropylphenyl)imino] acenaphthene, European Journal of Medical Chemistry, 40, 1214-1221.
3. Golcu, A., Tumer, M., Demirelli, H. and Wheatley R.A., (2005) Cd(II) and Cu(II) complexes of polydentate Schiff base ligand: synthesis, characterization, properties and biological activity, Inorg. Chim. Acta., 358, 1785-179.
4. Lin, Y.C., Huang., Chen, S.C., Liaw C.C., Kuo, S.C., Huang, L.Y. and Gean, P.W., (2009) Neuroprotective Effecs of Ugonin K on Hydrogen Peroxide-Induced Cell Death in Human Neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y Cells. Neurochem Res, 34:923-930.
5. Lv, J., Liu, T., Cai, S., Wang, X., Liu, L. and Wang, Y., (2006) Synthesis, structure and zbiological activity of cobalt(II) and copper(II) complexes of valine-derived Schiff base, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 100, 1888-1896
6. Nasrabadi, M.R., Ganjali, M.R., Gholivand, M.B., Ahmadi, F., Norouzi, P. and Niasari, M.S., (2008) A cyclic voltammetry investigation of the complex formation between Cu2+ and some Schiff base in binary acetonitrile/ dimethylformamide mixture, Journal of Molecular Structure, 885, 76-81.
7. Shakir, M., Azam, M., Parveen, S., Khan, A.U. and Firdaus, F., (2009) Synthesis and spectroscopic studies on complexes of N,N-bis(2-pyridinecarboxaldimine)-1,8-diaminonaphthalene (L); DNA binding studies on Cu(II) complexes, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, 71, 1851-1856.
8. Rouhollahi, A., Zolfonoun, E. and Niasari, M.S. (2007) Effect on ionic surfactant on transport of copper (II) through liquid membrane containing a new synthesis Schiff base. Saperation and Purification Technology, 54, 28-33.